Friday, June 02, 2006

so slide over here

maybe it's because i was completely dead at spin class this morning, but when that old INXS song came on in the middle of a tortuous "hill," i was transported back nearly 20 (!) years to seventh grade.

"your moves are so raw"

in 1986-87, i spent approximately three straight months locked in my room, (ahem), "studying," and listening to two cassette tapes (remember those?): "kick" and "faith." to this day, no other albums seem so fundamentally and inherently "sexy."

". . . what do you think? can't take it all. . ."

perhaps i'm just confusing going through the onslaught of puberty with being really affected by some decent pop music. but really, what's the difference anyway? i suppose we all have those types of mental associations that can transform a multi-million dollar album into a type of ultra-personal anthem. we all, at one time or another, have a strong belief that Michael Hutchence (or his equivalent if one exists) knows every corner of our inner soul, unlike our stupid, uncool parents.

"everybody does, yeah that's okay"

remind me never to be twelve years old again.

2 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael said...

So I am just now catching up on all your posts. Good lord- your rash of recent posting is making me look inadequate. So this particular post is relevant to me. You see, prior to my recent cross-country trek, I was forced to do some manual spring cleaning before the movers arrived. And... (strong Xander, strong Xander) I decided to depart with my tape collection. However, not all reached the circular file. the sole survivors were, indeed, my INXS, old REM, and U2 collection. I'll take Michael Hutchinson to the grave. Pardon the pun.